This lighthouse is located about nine miles from the York coastline on the 300-foot by 700-foot Boon Island. The light is inaccessible to the public but can be viewed by many boat cruises offered in the area. The light’s beacon flashes white every five seconds to prevent shipwrecks. The original lighthouse was built under orders of President James Madison during the War of 1812. Another tower was erected near the old one in 1855.