This light is on an island along the approach to Blue Hill Bay, closest to the town of Frenchboro. Great Duck Island Light is not accessible to the public and is best viewed by boat cruises offered in the area. In 1902, the Reed family occupied the light station. They had 16 children and were believed to be the largest family in American lighthouse history. This lighthouse also inspired the popular children’s book Captain’s Castaway. Today, Great Duck Island Light is owned by the College of the Atlantic, which operates a research station on the island.