SHARE

Established 1827

This light is about five miles from Matinicus Island in Penobscot Bay, nearest to the town of Matinicus. This light is best viewed by boat cruises in the area. Originally this station housed two lights because of its prominent location, but the north light was darkened for good in 1923. The island is maintained as a bird sanctuary with a nesting colony of puffins, with very limited access.